A firefighter was treated in hospital for an arm injury after battling an early-morning blaze that caused $100,000 in damage to a vacant home in downtown Hamilton.
Firefighters responded to the blaze at 53 Cathcart St., just west of Wellington Street, about 12:15 a.m. Monday, to find heavy smoke.
The residents of the neighbouring semi-detached two-storey home were outside when firefighters arrived.
Firefighters searched the home and found a "well-involved" fire in the basement. They quickly put out the blaze, but not before it went up to the second-floor attic through the wall.
The flames didn't spread to neighbouring homes, however, fire department information officer Claudio Mostacci said in a release.
No residents were injured, but a firefighter ended up in hospital with an arm injury received during an overhaul operation, Mostacci said.
He has been released from hospital.
The property loss is expected to be $100,000, the fire department says.
"The cause of the fire was electrical and not considered suspicious," they said.
The home was unoccupied, but had working smoke alarms.
The neighbouring semi has some water damage, but the residents were able to return.