Bishop Tonnos Catholic Secondary School has been deemed safe, the school board says, after it was closed Friday morning due to a possible gas leak.
Marnie Jadon, communications manager with the Hamilton-Wentworth Catholic District School Board said in an email that the Hamilton Fire Department was investigating a possible gas leak at the school.
Jadon added all students and staff are safe and were evacuated to Resurrection Catholic Cemetery on Rymal Rd.
Parents were asked to pick up their children at the cemetery.
A post on the Catholic board’s official Twitter account says the school will be re-opened from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. to give students a chance to pick up their belongings from their lockers.
The school will be locked again as of 1:30 p.m.
UPDATE: <a href=”https://twitter.com/btcsschool?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw”>@btcsschool</a> has been deemed safe. The school will open from 11am to 1pm today for students who wish to quickly pick up their belongings from lockers. The school will be locked at 1:30pm. Please ensure that any necessary materials are picked up before that time.